Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Rotisserie Chicken

 I've never been one to buy a rotisserie chicken but I had a couple of recipes in mind that would be perfect with that slowly cooked, fall-off-the-bone flavor that the rotisserie chicken is known for. Sure, I could just throw a few chicken breasts in the crock-pot and let it do all the work for me but I figured for around the same price, I could have instant gratification. My chicken was $7.99 at Vons but I've seen them on sale for as low as five bucks so stock up when they are on sale. Throw a salad and veggie or potatoes with it and you've got yourself a quick, healthy meal. It's better than fast-food and super tasty.
So with my chicken in hand, I got crackin'. First, I wanted to make a chicken salad. At least once a week, and usually on karate nights when we are rushed, I make a simple supper of soup and salad or sandwiches and chips with fruit. So this would be perfect. I like mine with a little crunch and texture so I combined about two cups of shredded chicken, a handful of pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and a big scoop of cranberries. I mixed it all with about a half a cup of mayo and a little salt and pepper and my salad was ready! Served on soft-baked ciabatta rolls from the bakery, I had created a delicious sandwich that blew my typical, boring, ham and cheese outta the water!
For the next dish, I made a creamy lemon garlic pasta with the rest of the chicken. I boiled a box of Barilla callentani pasta and set aside. I browned two chopped garlic cloves, a teaspoon of butter and the juice of one lemon then added two cups of heavy cream and let it come to a slow simmer. I then added oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste. Once combined with the chicken and pasta, it made a perfect, comforting meal!! Of course, no pasta dish is complete without garlic bread! So what will you make with your rotisserie chicken???



                                             Tangy, crunchy and delicious chicken salad!!!


                                                  Mix the cream sauce, chicken and pasta...
viola!!

No comments:

Post a Comment