Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Chocolate Chip Love Story

I've always loved chocolate chip cookies and consider myself a connoisseur. I always order them for dessert at fast-food places and go to them for an afternoon snack with a Diet Coke (I really value my health...) and they make the best dessert when warmed and topped with ice cream...ever hear of Bazookis?? Enough said. So I've stumbled upon the best, hands-down and it hails from my favorite fast food place...how convenient is that?? Yes, Chick-Fil-A has my vote for BEST chocolate chip cookie. They are actually oatmeal chocolate chip and are large, tasty and usually warm....so good but also a little pricey. They are $1.25 each compared to, say, McDonald's which are 3 for $1.00. So my mission was clear: duplicate the cookie and enjoy them for a fraction of the cost. My sister Ellen, our pastry chef here at A Sweet Bite, had given me a brown butter chocolate chip recipe I'd yet to try and decided it was the perfect time to make them. Here it is...


 
The helpers...one shirtless for some reason...
 
The butter is almost done...
Little taste testers...
 
Mmmmm.....

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 cups PLUS 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg PLUS 1 egg yolk (I only had one egg on hand but it was fine...)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
*I also added one cup of oats


Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter until browned and little black bits start to form on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until warm.In
a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the sugars and brown butter on medium-high speed until lightened in color and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, mixing until combined. With the mixer on low, add the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Mix in
the chocolate chips.
Scoop the dough (about 2 tablespoons) onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. Be careful not to over bake.
Let cookies cool on pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.


Enjoy!
**I made mine extra large and yielded 16 cookies...

No comments:

Post a Comment