Wednesday, July 18, 2012

What's Cookin??

There is something magical about chicken, specifically chicken breast. It can be transformed into too many savory dishes to count, is inexpensive and readily available. It is the healthiest, leanest part of the chicken. A boneless, skinless chicken breast boasts a modest 250 calories and packs a protien punch. The best part? Most kids will gobble the poultry powerhouse happily. Here's where the best recipe for kid-friendly chicken I've ever made comes in! My kids LOVE chicken nuggets, specifically Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets. When I asked my four-year-old daughter, Jovie, why she likes them, she simply replied "Because I just like them." Enough said.
These are the only ones my kids will touch, probably because they are the only ones I will let them touch and so a refined palate was born! Don't get me wrong...I serve my fair share of frozen foods, pre-packaged snacks, and sugar-filled delights, but I do my best to make sure that when time and finances afford, they get the best.
There are many scary nuggets out there, some containing carcinogens, preservatives and tons of added salt! I don't want that stuff in my kids bodies so if it means making them myself, I will. Not only will you save time by making large batches of these and freezing for later, but you will save money too. A Chick-Fil-A nugget meal with a drink and fries is roughly $7. This one costs just around $2 (including fries) to make at home. Here's what's for dinner tonight, a copycat recipe from our favorite place! They taste darned close and the kids devour them:

2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tbs. powdered sugar (I started with 1 tbsp. and added gradually, to taste)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper (optional...I omit as my picky ones would ask what the black stuff is!)
Canola oil for frying

****Whisk egg and milk together. Place chicken in milk mixture and let stand 2-4 hours in fridge.*** Yes, you have to plan ahead a bit. This step makes for a tender nugget but in a pinch, you can skip the waiting. I've done it...
When ready, place 2 inches of oil in deep pan and heat until bubbles rise to the surface. Place remaining ingredients in zip lock bag and shake chicken to coat. Place one layer of nuggets in pan and cook about a minute on each side, or until golden brown. Place on paper towel to drain oil. Let cool and enjoy!! (Serve with criss-cut frozen fries and your dinner will truly resemble Chick-Fil-A!)

My result ended up identical to the original...


To see this original recipe, check out http://www.mynameissnickerdoodle.com/2011/03/fabulous-food-friday-79.html


No comments:

Post a Comment