Monday, July 23, 2012

I Smell a Project!!

We have been in need of kitchen chairs for quite some time now. I don't really didn't feel like two almost-broken chairs, a high chair and a camping chair were going to do it anymore! So on the search I went. Being too frugal to buy new chairs, I have been scouring Craigslist and yard sales and FINALLY found a set this weekend. They were not perfect but the price was right. Four chairs for $20...sold! After getting them home and realizing they simply would not work in their current condition, I decided spray paint would be the quickest and easiest solution. Oh, and probably the cheapest. I found a sea-blue color at Lowe's for $4/can. For a total of $36, I have a new set of kitchen chairs that I love! If you, like me, don't like to spray paint or take on projects that feel like an ordeal, then stick with me here.
I simply wiped them down, laid a sheet in front of my garage and went to work. If you plan to spray paint, here are a few tips:

- Make sure you paint in an open space with lots of fresh air! There's no way to completely avoid the fumes so do your best to ventilate (or just do it outside) and take lots of breaks.
- Wear rubber gloves unless you want to end your project looking like a graffiti artist.
- Wipe down any grime or dust and if needed, lightly sand.
- Enlist help if it is a larger project. I eventually needed my hubby to come to the rescue. My hands got a little sore and I wanted to finish before nightfall.
- Buy an extra can! I had to send Mike out for more. I needed a little less than one can per chair. Better to have extra for touch-ups!

Sometimes it seems easier to just go out and buy what you want but if you're on a budget or just want something unique, go for it! A small change can make big impact. Although I don't plan to spring for a new table any time soon, I think I've made an improvement. Here are my before and after pics:

Chairs and messy table before

Armed....

New chairs pre-spray paint

Making progress!

I couldn't resist! ;)

Done!




















No comments:

Post a Comment