Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Steak Night

I'm not a big fan of beef. I don't care for steaks too much and ground beef doesn't really appeal to me. I'm too squeamish. Give me a chicken breast any day and I'm good to go. Unless you tempt me with an In-N-Out burger, I could live without beef. But recently, I had a hankering for a good rice with teryaki steak. Maybe it was a visit to Panda Express that left me thinking..."I could do that better." So online I went on a search for an easy fried rice recipe and I was on a roll. I kind of made it up as I went, mish-mashing one recipe into another until I had what resembled a restaurant quality fried rice. The steak was a little trickier. I needed my hubby to assist me in navigating the meat aisle, but once we decided on a thin cut top sirloin, I felt confident I could turn it into a dish that rivaled our recent fast-food meal.
First, take a pound of top sirloin and slice into thin strips. Marinate in 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1 chopped garlic clove, and 2 tablespoons. grated, fresh ginger. Let sit overnight, if possible. For the rice, cook 2 cups rice according to package directions. Set aside. In large saucepan, cook 1 shallot over low heat in 2 tablespoons oil until translucent. Add 1 chopped garlic clove and saute another minute. Add cooked rice, a few drizzles of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Make well in center of rice and crack two eggs, then let eggs cook through. On outdoor grill (or skillet, if you can't grill..) Cook top sirloin about 2 minutes on each side, flipping once. Serve with rice. Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. If you can wait long enough, day old rice works even better for fried rice! And hello, you forgot the peas and carrots :0)

    ReplyDelete