Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls for the Soul

To start the school day right, I made cinnamon rolls with my kids yesterday. It was not only a sweet and satisfying breakfast, but it started the day fun and let's face it, was as much for me as them. I can't think of a better way to start the day than with sugar and caffiene. Donuts, pancakes, croissants, muffins...you name it, I want it. I have very few vices people, and those top the list! The kids, still in their jammies, got to sit up on the counter and help me mix, shake and roll. As they tasted along the way and got cinnamon and sugar all over, I realized that we were baking not only a delicious treat, but memories as well. These are the things I want my kids to remember when they are grown. Sure, I could make it a lot easier on myself and let them sit in front of the TV so I could cook in peace but what's the fun in that? I'm all about doing what's better for them, not easier for me...most of the time. So as the dough was resting, we got ready for the day and before I knew it, the time had come to pop those suckers in the oven. Yes, you could buy the dough already made or just use a canned cinnamon roll, but there is just something about the flavor of homemade dough that tastes...homemade!
I checked out different recipes but ultimately decided to adapt a recipe I use often for bread and adjust accordingly. It's tried and true so why mess with it?? This breakfast is definitely not healthy, but when made yourself, I guarantee has A LOT less sugar and fat than store bought versions. If you give your kids a small serving with some fruit, yogurt or a side of bacon or sausage, you've served up a yummy, guilt-free breakfast for all. I know I sure didn't feel bad scarfing three of these bad boys!
Our first day of pre-school at home was a little shaky. Logan whined for attention while Jovie struggled to focus on my spelling and math lessons. I'll admit, I attempted using Boggle as a means for learning spelling and it was a bit of a flop. Letters were thrown by Logan and the kids each hoarded a pile, thinking it was a challenge to see who could hide the most from Mommy. It wasn't perfect but I know it will continue to get easier and easier. If nothing else, at least our day started with a sweet breakfast and a little quality time as well. Keep making those memories and let your kids help as much as you can handle...I know, the messes drive me nuts too!
Cinnamon Rolls
Dough:
1 cup warm water
1 envelope active dry yeast
3 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
1 tspn. salt
Filling:
1 tbspn. cinnamon
4 tbspns. sugar
2 tbspn. butter
1/4 cups pecans (optional)
Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbspns. milk
Mix water and yeast in a bowl and let stand a minute. Add remaining dough ingredients until combined then knead on counter until ball forms. Place in greased bowl and cover. Let sit about an hour, or until doubled in size. Roll out into a 1/4 in. square, covering surface with butter, cinnamon/sugar and nuts. Roll and slice into ten pieces then place in baking dish. Bake at 350 ° for about 25 minutes, until cooked through. Mix powdered sugar and milk to make thick icing and pour over hot rolls. Enjoy!







1 comment: