Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pre-K My Way

Pe-chool officially starts for my daughter today!! We're going to start the day with homemade cinnamon rolls, a good start, I say! The idea of homeschooling Jovie seemed like a piece of cake...until I realized I should probably have a lesson plan, materials, and a quiet place for her to work. I was 0 for 3...the day before I planned to start! So yesterday afternoon, I hit Target and collected extra notebooks, stickers a white board and got planning. Normally, my OCD personality takes over and I'm waaaay ahead of the game but for some reason, I thought I'd wing it and be fine. Yikes. So if you are homeschooling your child for the first time or resuming again this year, I'd love to hear some of your ideas. Granted, Jovie is only four and I have a whole year to see how things go, I really want her to feel like for a couple hours a day, she is in school.
I made a schedule and for three afternoons a week, plan to work on spelling, math, history, art and geography for two hours. Of course, there will be some science, crafts, Bible time, and life lessons sprinkled in as well. I have entered uncharted territory and am as apprehensive as I am excited. But Target was a great place to start!! They have math and reading flashcards, bins and containers for organization and stickers, art supplies and workbooks galore. Whether you are homeschooling or sending your child to school for the first time, it can be overwhelming. Just veering your cart towards the school-supplies section can warrant chest pains. What does your child really need??
Will they suffer tremendously without the "cool" backpack or lunch pail?? And what about school clothes? How DO parents afford it year after year? I am so thankful when I think back on my parents. No matter how stretched financially they were, they made sure my siblings and I had a backpack full of supplies and new clothes to wear. Though kids do appreciate the new trappings that come when the new school year arrives, I think it's the little touches they will remember the most. Rushing me to Mervyn's (remember that place??) the night before an important event at school for a new top, packing my lunch just the right way with a sweet note tucked in, and being whisked away once in a while for an off-campus lunch are just a few things my mom did, not to mention just being there after a rough day. No matter how busy you are, there are always things you can do to show your love and get your little ones ready for school.
Obviously, older kids have different needs than your little ones, and homeschooling vs. sending your child off to school makes for different challenges. What's important is that in the end, if you are doing what you feel is best for your child, you can't lose. So pack that lunch with a little extra love, press those pants with care, and be available to listen to those back-to-school stories. If you wait long enough, they are bound to come. And if you have a wee one you want to start with at home, go easy and forget the pressure to be perfect. Numbers games, letter recognition and beginning to write go a long way. Kids are learning ALL the time, whether you notice or not. And I'll be sharing my lessons too!
How do you stay organized during the school year???

No comments:

Post a Comment