Saturday, August 4, 2012

Enchilada Revue

I am a big fan of the enchilada, chicken, specifically. I always have been. The buttery corn tortillas, spicy sauce and melting cheese is a poetic plate of mexican perfection. My hubby is not such a big fan so I took that as a challenge to change his mind. I've made different varieties homemade and also tried a few frozen versions that we happily gobbled up in the name of research! Mike's favorite, hands-down is a Campbell's soup gringo version of the enchilada (recipe to follow). It's easy, fast and thanks to mild green chile sauce, kid-friendly.
My favorite was a Huxtable's fresh chicken enchilada with red sauce that I found at Target. If you like a more authentic flavor and a little kick, this one is a must! I made these ones last night with some chips and guacamole and it was muy delicioso! So whether you go fresh or frozen, these are the perfect, easy meal. Here's the recipe for our family favorite:
8 large flour tortillas
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I use the Crock-Pot but you can bake or boil..)
1 can Campbell's cream of chicken soup
1 can mild green enchilada sauce, any brand
1/2 cup sour cream
1 8 oz. bag shredded monterey jack cheese
Heat oven to 400°.  Combine half the enchilada sauce, 1/4 cup sour cream, soup, 1 cup cheese and shredded chicken. Evenly fill tortillas with mixture, roll and place seam-side down in baking dish. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce and another 1/4 cup sour cream and pour over enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted. Serve with rice and beans...my favorites are Rosarita black refried beans with Old El Paso cheesy rice (boxed mix). Enjoy!!

Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment