Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake

As if I haven't experimented with enough pumpkin recipes for the year, I decided to add another...cheesecake. I wanted to make something extra-special for Thanksgiving and what's more appropriate than something boasting the season's bounty? I'm a nut for cheesecake anyway but add cinnamon, pumpkin and a drizzle of caramel (and whipped cream, or ice cream...) and I'm in cheesecake heaven. For some reason, cheesecake has always intimidated me so I never make them. After a few flops, I decided to try, try again. I chose to adapt a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake bars into a cheesecake (and by adapt I mean I used a springform pan instead of the 8X8 pan called for). No biggie. If you have never tried to make your own cheesecake out of fear, let me put your worries to rest. Follow the recipe and you'll be fine. Make sure you let the cream cheese soften, really soften. Leave out for at least two hours prior to use or else you'll end up with lumps, no matter how much you mix. Next, cook until just set and starting to crack. Nothing says failure like a dry, burned cheesecake! Lastly, Let chill for 4-5 hours but preferably overnight. Warm cheesecake is a no-no. But it turned out to be a perfectly yummy farewell to pumpkin. I think it's time to move on to the chocolaty, minty, and cinnamon-y flavors of Christmas. Goodbye, fall, hello winter (almost!) Here's one last hoorah before bidding adieu to pumpkin!!
Here's the recipe:

CRUST:
20 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, blended into crumbs and pressed into pan.
FILLING:
2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Press cookie crumbs into desired pan then combine remaining ingredients and pour into pan. Bake at 350 ° for about 45 minutes, or until center is set. Let cool and chill overnight if possible, but at least 4 hours.



adapted from http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pumpkin-cheesecake-bars-10000002012849/

No comments:

Post a Comment