Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Homemade Holiday

I know, I know...Halloween just passed and I'm already on to the next holiday...Christmas!! I know what you're thinking, "that's not the next holiday, Emily!" but really, it's the next big thing. Yes, we have Thanksgiving to contend with but it's just really the opening act for the main event. So out come the tubs of Christmas decorations and off I go planning, making lists, turning up my Christmas music, and most importantly, getting my DIY activities going. No, I don't do it all homemade and I take the help where I can, but part of the fun of Christmas is putting together a gingerbread house with the kids, making a Christmas wreath and baking homemade goodies for the neighbors. So with projects in mind, I have the perfect one to get you started!! It's super easy, requires very little effort but has a stunning outcome. Oh, and it's very inexpensive to make. Last year, I crafted the perfect wreath for my front door using some bulb ornaments, foam, tissue, and hot glue. That was it!!! Here's how it turned out!


First, cut your foam (or cardboard, or wood...) into the desired shape. I chose rectangle as it would look a little more modern and give my door some character. Next, hot glue tissue all over (cut tissue into squares and twist bottom to make little "puffs" to give dimension...) then glue bulbs in tissue, placing all over and creating a pattern so the bulbs are evenly distributed. Then hang!! It takes less than thirty minutes to create this one-of-a-kind Christmas decoration that you made yourself!
To get more ideas, I always check out Pinterest, the Martha Stewart website and am constantly scouring magazines for displays I want to copy. What are you going to make??

No comments:

Post a Comment