Sunday, November 11, 2012

This Week's Menu

This week I decided to ditch my boring and blah "same-old, same-old" dinner routine. I had gotten a recipe recently that both my sisters raved about and decided to give it a shot. It was a sweet potato and black bean taco dish but being that my hubby is a carnivore through and through, I decided to twist it up and add some ground chicken, some extra veggies and make it my own. Now, I hate to admit this, but aside from throwing some frozen sweet potato fries in the oven here and there, I've never made a sweet potato. Boy, was I missing out! I simply diced the potato and cooked in a skillet with some olive oil for about ten minutes, until the potato was soft. My son wanted a taste and LOVED it just that way, plain and simply. But I wasn't done. I added some onion, garlic, chopped red pepper and ground chicken to the mix. Then, as if that wasn't hearty enough, I threw in some Mexican rice to seal the deal. Not only did this dish taste great, but it yielded a ton...enough for two meals! I urge you to try sweet potatoes if you haven't! They will add body and texture to meals and are also chock full of vitamins a and c and picky kids will go for them!! So here it is, this week's menu, including the tacos:

Friday: Chili
Saturday: Dinner out!
Sunday: Sweet potato tacos/black beans
Monday: Grilled cheese/fruit smoothies
Tuesday: Teriyaki chicken burgers/oven fries
Wednesday: Pasta/garlic bread
Thursday: Leftovers

Here's the original recipe for the tacos! http://www.oprah.com/food/Roasted-Sweet-Potato-and-Black-Bean-Tacos-Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment