Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chicken Pot Pie

The other night, as my hubby and I were enjoying some couch-potato time, we happened upon a KFC commercial featuring a chicken pot pie. As we watched (and drooled...) I said..."Let's go to KFC this week! I need that!!!" Oooops. What I meant was "I'm going to make that this week!!" And I did. It's no surprise that these days, with little ones, I'm short on time, patience and creativity. It took this commercial to give me a little motivation. After perusing my favorite mealtime site, Pinterest, I decided the easiest way to tackle this dish would be a semi-homemade version. (as if there's any other way, come on!) So I headed to my favorite shopping paradise, Target, and loaded up on ingredients. I decided I would use chicken, peas, carrots, corn and potatoes. Other great add-ins would be onions, green beans or squash. This is a great way to use up leftovers and/or to sneak veggies in for otherwise picky eaters...not that I know anything about this...
I also bought a two-pack of Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, which you could do homemade instead but please, someone tell me the point in that!! (By the way, I found that the double-crust was a little rich...you could totally just do one on top...) What's going to bind this together is a can of cream of chicken soup. Yes, there are healthier ways to do it such as a homemade gravy or sauce and if that's in your agenda, more power to you! I'm sticking with the can. So here it is...no reason to hit the drive-thru tonight!

Chicken Pot Pie
1 pkg. refrigerated pie crusts- comes with two
1 pound cooked, chopped chicken breasts
1 cup each peeled and cooked potatoes, carrots, corn and peas
1 can cream of chicken soup

Cook chicken, carrots and potatoes. I used frozen corn and peas and tossed everything in a bowl, coating with the soup. Pour into a pie pan with one crust on bottom and one on top, pinching edges closed and cutting top to vent. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until evenly browned. Remember, everything is cooked inside so were just baking the crust and heating through. So easy and quick!!! As usual, I suggest doubling and freezing a pie for later or even just freezing the filling...makes it a breeze next time. This bad boy is so hearty you won't even need a side. Enjoy!!


                                                     The filling....very freezer friendly!!
                                                                  Ready to bake!!!
                                                                  Mmmmmm......

No comments:

Post a Comment