Thursday, May 23, 2013

Holla for Challah

I was thumbing through a cookbook the other day when a recipe for challah bread caught my eye. I enjoy making bread but not wanting to deal with a fussy recipe, I tweaked it a bit to work for me. Challah bread is different than any bread I've made in that it has eggs. The eggs lend for a dense, rich texture and subtly sweet taste. Braided and topped with poppy seeds, it makes for such a stunning start to any meal. And the smell? You just can't beat the smell of freshly baked bread! If you've never tried making bread, this is easy, I promise.

Challah Bread
3 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for kneading
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten (3 if you want an egg wash over the top..I skipped this step.)
poppy seeds, for top

Mix warm water and yeast in a mixing bowl then prepare dough by adding the remaining ingredients and mix well. Allow to rise for at least an hour. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Then, working in two batches, braid the dough on a floured surface then transfer to a baking sheet. Sprinkle poppy seeds over the top and bake for about thirty-five minutes or until golden brown. Serve with lots of butter and jam.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! Next time don't skip the eggwash, it really adds that extra beautiful sheen.

    ReplyDelete