Friday, May 17, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls: Take Two

Recently I decided a good batch of cinnamon rolls was in order for a yummy Sunday morning breakfast. After looking over several recipes, I decided to make a version by the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. You just can't go wrong with her simple, decadent recipes! I've tried many and have never been disappointed. After realizing the dough would be more time-consuming than I thought, I chose to make the rolls the night before and heat them in the morning, saving us precious time while rushing for church. This recipe yields enough dough for about eight large (and I mean large!) cinnamon rolls, sixteen if you don't halve the recipe like I did. Don't make the same mistake I did by underestimating how much the dough would rise and choose a too-small pan. I had to finagle the rolls in the middle and switch to a larger pan, creating a mess and not-so-pretty rolls but in the end?? They tasted mighty good and I plan to do this again soon. Oh, and my hubby and I couldn't even wait until the morning to try them. We wolfed a couple straight out of the oven! Here's my recipe, adapted only slightly, from Ree's. Next up? I plan to tackle her donuts!

Cinnamon Roll Dough, halved:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup oil
1 pkg. active dry yeast
4 cups flour, plus extra for rolling dough
1/2 tspn. baking powder
1/2 tspn. baking soda
1/2 tbspn. salt
Filling:
1 cup sugar
1/2 stick melted butter
cinnamon
Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbspns. milk, more if needed to thin out

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat the milk and oil over low heat until just warmed. Sprinkle yeast over the surface and let sit for a minute. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Allow to rise for about an hour, or until doubled. Roll out on a floured surface until about 1/2 inch thick. Spread with the melted butter, cinnamon and sugar. Roll into one large piece and then slice. Place in baking dish and allow to double once again, another hour or so. Then bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Glaze immediately and serve warm. Enjoy!!


I made this!! Soooo good!

1 comment:

  1. Mommy,everything you make is just so delicious. I've been reading your posts and found mouth-watering recipes for CINNAMON ROLLS (hello!), PASTAAAAAAAAA, alfredo sauce (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) and blondies. Yum yum yummmmm!

    ReplyDelete