Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Summa Summa Summa Tiiiiime

Summer is here, folks and you know what that means. Well, if you're a mom it may mean something different to you than to the rest of the world. For me, as a stay-home mom, it means:
- Awakening at 6 am to the words "I've finished everything I need to. I'm bored. Can I go on a device??"
- Sacrificing "me" time that I normally take for granted while the kids are in school and replacing it with "them" time.
- Making and cleaning up after 3 meals plus snacks every day.
- Planning activities that will get us out of the house, beat boredom, keep us cool and not spend a ton of money...no problem, right???
- Kids stay up later because "It's summer, Mommy! The sun is still shining! We don't have to be anywhere in the morning except at your bedside before you've had your coffee like the children of the corn!" so the time on the couch with my hubby after their bedtime is virtually non-existent.
- Kids are too hot. Kids are too cold. They are bored. They are hungry. They are hungry again. They don't want to be inside. They don't want to play outside. They are getting on each other's nerves or someone is feeling left out.
- I spend too much money to keep the kids occupied and keep my sanity and I feel guilty. I take them to the mall because it's air conditioned and we can just browse but then end up spending money on snacks, lunch, toys and stuff from bath and body works because I deserve it for being home all day.
- My husband declares "road trip!" and proceeds to drive while listening to his favorite tunes while mama turns into an octopus to tend to the various needs of the kiddos in the backseat. Relaxing? I think not but the impromptu stops to look at seals, peacocks and the mountains of Big Sur are priceless. And did I mention truck stop diners?? Nothing gets this mama more pumped than a homemade breakfast along the way!
- Shaving and spray tanning. And spray tanning and shaving. My legs that normally don't see the light of day are too scary to witness without a little help. So begins the ritual..
- Legos are everywhere!
- Birthdays! For us, with three summer birthdays, it means celebration times three!
- Spending a million dollars on back to school clothes, backpacks, shoes, and school supplies.
- Crock Pot dinners because ain't nobody wanna turn on the oven in the heat of the day, am I right?
- VBS! Moms everywhere hail the blessed staff and churches that sacrifice their time, energy and resources to put on vacation bible school for our little monsters. It's free, the kids get tired out, they learn about Jesus AND my husband and I can sneak away for coffee....or....I'll leave it at coffee ;)
- Memories are created. Grooves are gotten into and finally at the end of summer, we all dread back to school time because we are just having too much fun!

And there you have it, folks: the good, the bad and the ugly of summer. I hope you're enjoying your kiddos, managing the lack of sleep and finding ways to stay sane! What does summer mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment