Friday, July 20, 2018

Dressing Room Drama

Have you ever attempted to clothes shop with your kiddos?? I'm here to tell you that no matter their age, it is usually easier to just go alone. Why don't I do that, you ask? Well. I have several reasons:
A) My children are home all day during the summer so there's really no ditching them.
B) My hubby has crazy work hours and is usually attempting to sleep during the day so it would be really cruel to leave them whilst I shop in peace.
C) They need things too and unless I wanna go back and forth to return ill-fitting items, they must come along.
Yesterday I had an itch to go to Old Navy. We have a beach trip planned next week and we are all in need of shorts, flip-flops...etc. I wanted to go because I've never been to the one near my new house, kids were bouncing off the walls and Daddy just got paid! So off we went! It was an interesting trip..
For starters, the boys suddenly developed an interest in fashion on the way over and were choosing outfits in one dark color. Black shorts with a black shirt, grey shorts with a grey shirt, navy shorts with a navy shirt...you get the idea. Would it kill them to wear a pair of khaki shorts with a fun graphic tee??? I gave them a few simple requirements. First, they had to agree on something to match (Because that's so cute. Duh.) And it couldn't be in funeral colors. So after what felt like a million hours, we fiiiinally settled on a white polo with navy shorts. Apparently, they were attempting to look "golf pro chic". My children are weird.
My daughter is at a funky age where she's a little too old for the children's section but too young for the ladies so we were on the verge of discouragement when she found a rack of adorable, a-line, stretchy dresses with plenty of fun patterns to choose from. Success!
I was miraculously able to sneak into the dressing room with my daughter while the boys searched for yet another monochromatic ensemble and chose a pair of light skinny jeans, a cardigan and a pair of tailored grey shorts (the thing I went for in the beginning.)
Overall, the shopping trip was a win although it took four times as long as I planned but still...I came out ahead. If you are a mama like me who, unless there is a vacation, wedding or special occasion in the near future that requires new duds, avoids clothes shopping at all costs, let me tell you, it was actually fun. I have been in need of refreshing my wardrobe for quite some time. Proof of this is that the other morning when I decided to shower and dress before my hubby came home from work so that, you know, he sees his wife in something other than pajamas for once, my kids asked "Mommy, why are you so dressed up??" Sad. So it was time. Just because I stay home with kids all day, there's no reason I can't feel good doing it! I hope you take it from me and once in a while, buy yourself a little something. Old Navy has great prices. I spent $129 on three dresses for my daughter, an outfit for each of my boys and a pair of jeans, shorts, and a cardigan for myself. Not bad!

          My daughter...having fun making faces in the mirror. The boys were outside running amok!
              Image may contain: 2 people, including Emily Kate, people smiling, people standing, phone and shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment