Thursday, July 4, 2013

Proud to be an American

I consider myself and my family lucky to be born American. We are a country that is revered, privileged and modeled after. In a world where so many live in destitution, caste systems and gender inequality, I feel that as Americans, we have it all. We are free. I don't have to worry about where my children's next meal or drink will come from, don't have to fear that I might be kidnapped, raped or chastised just for being of a certain religion, sex or race and things like human trafficking and slavery are not part of my vernacular. True, we all have problems but considering how much worse things are around the world, I can't complain. We have people who are brave enough to leave the safety net of our country and fight for our freedom and rights and who face, ultimately, death. They keep our doors and windows tight and maintain the level of safety and comfort we've gotten used to. Don't get me wrong. I am not naive. I realize there is crime and terrorism here too but the level is much less than say, Pakistan or Iraq. My favorite Independence Day song, and one that should be an anthem for all Americans is Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue". My favorite line is "Justice will be won and the battle will rage. This big dog will fight when you rattle his cage. You'll be sorry that you messed with the US of A...cause we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way". We are strong. We are fighters. We are Americans. Take some time to remember the fallen and the fighters of our country today. Happy Fourth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment