Saturday, June 29, 2013

Three's a Crowd

For the last year or so, I have had nightly interruptions, usually ending with a child in my bed. Yes, every night. It's exhausting getting up night after night with whiny children, then trying to reason with them, only to have them end up in bed with me. Again. My daughter is five and so much easier to deal with. If she has a bad dream, has to go potty, or needs a drink, I can get her what she needs, walk her back to bed and she drifts back to sleep. My son is a different story. For some reason, he had become extra picky about his bedtime routine. Not only did I have to rock my almost-three-year-old to sleep but then he'd awaken in the middle of the night, wanting to bunk with me and daddy. I've obliged this long until recently, he stopped. Just like that, on his own. Cold turkey. I had debated the different methods....let him cry it out? Rock him back to sleep? But ultimately, I needed to sleep too and so a (bad) habit was formed. I'm lucky he has grown out of it because a rested mommy is a happy mommy. I'm glad I let go and let him figure it out on his own. Sometimes the power struggle is just not worth the fight...especially when sleep is involved! Whatever your issue with your children, just remember...this too, shall pass.
What are you fighting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment