Monday, August 27, 2012

Tomato Soup for the Soul


A few days ago, my neighbor brought over a HUGE bowl of fresh, homegrown tomatoes to share. I used some in our dinner salad but realized a bounty this big was screaming to be turned into something scrumptious. My first thought was a mean marinara sauce but I thought I'd take it one step further and make a comforting tomato soup. I've been channeling fall, after all and what's more fall than a big bowl of tomato soup with a gooey grilled cheese or some crusty bread? I totally made this up as I went so here are the instructions for a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants soup! Start by trimming the tops, boiling the  tomatoes for about 30 seconds and removing the skin. Then place tomatoes, seasonings (I used basil, oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, celery and onion, and garlic...) in pot and simmer until onion is soft. Then cook on low (30 minutes to an hour...) and blend the soup in blender or with immersion blender and serve with Parmesan. You could add chicken stock or cream for different consistencies but I like it just this way! Enjoy! What's your favorite way to bring fall into your home??




 
 
 
 
Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment