Friday, August 31, 2012

Carbo-Loading

I love carbs. I mean love. From pasta to potatoes, and rice to rolls, I could live on them. But I have a special spot in my heart, and stomach, for bread. I especially like it warm, soft, and straight out of the oven. My favorites are from restaurants and over the past few years I've perfected a few recipes that rival those made in professional kitchens. Bread has always been an obsession of mine, going back to when my hubby and I were dating and he would call to make sure the restaurant we were trying served bread! From Macaroni Grill to Lucille's to the Islamorada restaurant at Bass Pro Shops, I have found many yummy sources for my bread obsession. Some flour, water, rising agent...it's a basic recipe but one that could be a meal in itself. I recently found a Copycat recipe for Mrs. Knott's buttermilk biscuits from Mrs. Knott's Kitchen and HAD to make them. If you've never had them, you need to go stand in the hour-long line just to try them. Live too far from Knott's Berry Farm?? (or don't want to wait??) You're in luck! I've got a recipe for these biscuits that is so close to the real thing, you won't know what you're missing. Eat on carb-lovers, eat on!

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk (I used plain milk...) 
  • 1 tsp shortening (I used butter...)
  • oil

Directions:

Combine ingredients (except oil) and turn out on counter. Knead until just incorporated and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness. Transfer to baking sheet and using pizza cutter, slice into squares, without separating. Brush surface of biscuits with oil. Bake about 10-12 minutes until browned.

Read more: http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/knott-s-berry-farm-buttermilk-biscuits-316606#ixzz24ypuDx4O



                                             The dough should be soft and slightly sticky...

                                                                    12 minutes later...

                                                                          Mmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment