Friday, December 27, 2013

The Calm After the Storm

Do you ever feel like Christmas goes by way too fast? Like you wish you could have squeezed in one more party, shopping trip, baking session?? Well, once you have kids, it only speeds up. This year, I was determined to slow down, enjoy one activity at a time and just savor the moments with my little ones. It didn't stop the clock but it allowed me to focus on what the season is really about...family, friends, creating traditions and really celebrating the birth of Christ. This year we established a few first traditions (light-looking in the car with Del Taco, baking and delivering cookies to neighbors..) and enjoyed a few old favorites (visiting Santa at Bass Pro Shop and going out for burgers on Christmas Adam, the day before Christmas Eve..) I tend to be a high energy, on-the-go person and this year was no exception but I did my best to stop and smell the roses because when the gifts have been unwrapped, the decorations put away for next year and the toys have all been opened and strewn about the house, I want my kids to remember the time and togetherness as a family. So while you plan for the year to come, make those resolutions and no doubt get organized from the chaos, be sure to reflect on what matters most. Your family, time spent creating and upholding traditions and seeing the look of delight on your kid's faces as they play with their Christmas bounty, those are the moments to relish. Next year can wait.
"Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life." -Omar Khayyam

No comments:

Post a Comment