Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Get Real

While I was at the library waiting for my kid's story time to end, I randomly picked up the book "Skinny Chicks Eat Real Food" to browse through. Being at the beginning of a weight loss journey after pregnancy, I became quickly intrigued. Although we all know that the key to losing weight is simple: eat better and move more, it got me thinking how much better I could eat and how much better I'd like my family to eat. I think we do a generally good job, making sure our kids are active and don't eat too much junk. But then, I have to be honest with myself. I often use food as treats and allow them a Slurpee or hot dog to stay quiet during Target trips, destinations ending with juice to stay happy during long walks so mommy can get a workout in and candy as rewards for helping around the house. We also allow too many chicken nugget and french fry meals in our life. But no more!! The past couple weeks, as I've been trying to get my act together, I've been trying harder to get my kid's diets in check as well.
We have been limiting fast-food altogether and making better choices when we do go out to eat and I've been insisting on more fruits and veggies throughout the day. Water is the main attraction as far as beverages go and I feel more in control with my own eating. I don't know about you, but at the end of my pregnancy, I gave myself cart blanche to indulge in whatever fare I was craving at the time. I was just too tired to care anymore. But now, three weeks later, I am feeling amazing. I am officially 32 pounds lighter, have energy to spare and can finally keep up with the kiddos. I think carefully about every morsel of food that goes into my mouth and while it's not fun, it's totally worth it! I'm far from perfect but I'll take it!
How are you doing on your journey to a healthier lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment