Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Weeknight Fiesta

I adore rice and beans from Mexican restaurants. Adore. I could live off of them and usually wind up with platas de fiesta from Mexican restaurants just for the sake of those darned rice and beans. Add a side of chips and salsa and I swoon. So I decided to whip up a batch of homemade rice on a recent weeknight, crack open a can of beans and make a pan of enchiladas for dinner. It doesn't need to be a special occasion to make good, homemade food! If you are a Mexican-food obsessed girl like me, and especially if you are a gringa, then it is especially satisfying to make it yourself. Here are my recipes. Enjoy! Oh, and ole!!

Green Enchiladas
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I used the Crock-Pot..)
1/2 cup salsa
10 flour tortillas
1 can green enchilada sauce
2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
Assemble by rolling each tortilla with a scoop of chicken and a bit of salsa. Place in 9X13 baking dish and cover with enchilada sauce and shredded cheese. Heat under broiler and serve with rice and beans.

Mexican Rice
2 tablespoons oil
1 chopped onion
3 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 cups white rice
3 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 can chopped tomatoes
Pour oil, onion and garlic in medium saucepan and cook for 3 minutes. Add rice and cook another 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomatoes and chicken broth and cook at a low simmer about 20 minutes or until rice is cooked through. I serve with a can of vegetarian or black refried beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment